Users Browse Upload Forums Log in

Mod Share Forums

Welcome to the Mod Share forums.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-05 10:46:48

tlangster
Mod Share-er
Website

The sad truth about the future of Scratch Mods...

Scratch 2.0, as probably everyone here knows, is developed in Flash. Unfortunately, this makes modding hard for those who were used to the Squeak environment, or for those who cannot afford Flash. As well, Scratch 2.0 has not bothered to release the source code for 2.0, so we cannot develop mods unless we can get our hands on some decompiled code (which someone did, but how to compile it???).

This is a great example of how the Scratch Team makes sure to pay attention to what people want and need... sad

Scratch modding will never really be possible at this rate, because any 1.4 mods have numerous problems, from the limitations of having to mod 1.4 (loss of all 2.0 features), the restrictions of Squeak, and the fact that nobody wants to use a 1.4 mod. It is really sad because modding is what allows freedom in using Scratch - Scratch itself is locked down to the ridiculousness of "If a newbie to Scratch cannot figure it out within five seconds, take it out entirely." which is limiting its possibilities. Modding was the only escape from that, and now it is gone.

Welp, I guess I should say thanks! To all of the modders of Scratch, from jvvg and LS97 who created Insanity, Bingo, and Mod Share, to all the other excellent mods out there. We will miss you.

Want to see me in action? http://scratch.mit.edu/users/FireNinjaGAME

I am not doing mod programming until 2.0 mods can arise. So... a few years?

#2 2013-07-05 11:06:06

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Re: The sad truth about the future of Scratch Mods...

Yeah, as soon as Scratch 2.0 was released, I realized that. The code for the editor will be released at some point, but I don't quite know when. He said at the end of June (source), but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. hmm

Anyway, even so, Scratch 2.0 implements a bunch of features that were originally only in mods (e.g. cloning, custom blocks), and a bunch more.

Currently, we do still plan to keep this site up (we do host other websites on the same hosting plan, so it isn't really wasting any of our financial resources), as people still may want to download the projects on it. However, we may consider disabling uploads and new registrations at some point, we have already stopped implementing new features, and no longer accept new mod submissions. Basically the codebase for this site will probably not be changed at all from what we have now.

We can guarantee that this site will still be up until at least October of 2014. After that, though, we are still deciding what will happen.

For specific mods, LS97 says he has discontinued development on Bingo, and I have stopped work on Insanity. If I ever learn Flash (and get $700 to pay for it tongue), I may decide to develop Mania (Insanity for Scratch 2.0). In the meantime, there isn't much I can do.

If Scratch 2.0 mods become popular, we may decide to revive this site, though significantly redesigning parts of it to better fit the Scratch 2.0 theme.

wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

#3 2013-07-05 12:00:50

tlangster
Mod Share-er
Website

jvvg wrote:

Yeah, as soon as Scratch 2.0 was released, I realized that. The code for the editor will be released at some point, but I don't quite know when. He said at the end of June (source), but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. hmm

Anyway, even so, Scratch 2.0 implements a bunch of features that were originally only in mods (e.g. cloning, custom blocks), and a bunch more.

Currently, we do still plan to keep this site up (we do host other websites on the same hosting plan, so it isn't really wasting any of our financial resources), as people still may want to download the projects on it. However, we may consider disabling uploads and new registrations at some point, we have already stopped implementing new features, and no longer accept new mod submissions. Basically the codebase for this site will probably not be changed at all from what we have now.

We can guarantee that this site will still be up until at least October of 2014. After that, though, we are still deciding what will happen.

For specific mods, LS97 says he has discontinued development on Bingo, and I have stopped work on Insanity. If I ever learn Flash (and get $700 to pay for it tongue), I may decide to develop Mania (Insanity for Scratch 2.0). In the meantime, there isn't much I can do.

If Scratch 2.0 mods become popular, we may decide to revive this site, though significantly redesigning parts of it to better fit the Scratch 2.0 theme.

1) I heard that they were working on an HTML5 version of Scratch, but again, I THINK that they are doing it. They said it would not be in this version, so that is either a 2.1 or 3.0 thing.
2) Good luck getting the $700 for it. Also enjoy the fact that is impossible to "pirate" download, I have tried (and failed).
3) You also need the source code.

#4 2013-07-05 12:26:46

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

tlangster wrote:
jvvg wrote:

1) I heard that they were working on an HTML5 version of Scratch, but again, I THINK that they are doing it. They said it would not be in this version, so that is either a 2.1 or 3.0 thing.
2) Good luck getting the $700 for it. Also enjoy the fact that is impossible to "pirate" download, I have tried (and failed).

1) Looking forward to that
2) FireNinjaGAME just told me about a free Flash development tool
3) The Scratch Team said they will release it, but I'm still waiting on that

wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

#5 2013-07-05 12:34:50

tlangster
Mod Share-er
Website

jvvg wrote:
tlangster wrote:
jvvg wrote:

1) Looking forward to that
2) FireNinjaGAME just told me about a free Flash development tool
3) The Scratch Team said they will release it, but I'm still waiting on that

1) I am FireNinjaGAME!!! tlangster is the name of my test account, I don't have a FireNinjaGAME account on Mod Share.
2)Well, yes (Look above)
3) I told you the link! Have fun!

#6 2013-07-06 06:03:02

LS97
Mod Share Team

It's always sad to witness the end of an era. In this case, it's the end of "Modding" and an "open" Scratch.
As Scratch moves towards closed development and corporate-style approaches to its user base, the more transparent developers of Scratch Mods will inevitably be alienated from the site. As a consequence, Mod Share sees a decline in popularity, and we know that its use will continue to wane in the near future.

Our site has seen its peak in the old days, and it could be a good thing that we move on to the more advanced options that the programming world has to offer us. We'll all find our own ways after Scratch, although it once was the... orange ribbon that joined and distinguished us all (excuse the imagery).

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#7 2013-07-07 12:43:06

SJRCS_011
Community Moderator
Website

LS97 wrote:

It's always sad to witness the end of an era. In this case, it's the end of "Modding" and an "open" Scratch.
As Scratch moves towards closed development and corporate-style approaches to its user base, the more transparent developers of Scratch Mods will inevitably be alienated from the site. As a consequence, Mod Share sees a decline in popularity, and we know that its use will continue to wane in the near future.

Our site has seen its peak in the old days, and it could be a good thing that we move on to the more advanced options that the programming world has to offer us. We'll all find our own ways after Scratch, although it once was the... orange ribbon that joined and distinguished us all (excuse the imagery).

Very well stated LS97, I couldn't have said it better.  Hopefully modding and Scratch in general could go back to the older days, but even just the switch to Flash could be considered a step in the direction of closed-source (and as we all know, closed-source can lead to proprietary software eventually).  After all, look at Flash versus Squeak:  Squeak is open source; Flash isn't.  The Squeak IDE was free (aka just turn fillscreen off); the professional Flash development kit is quite expensive.  It's all really disappointing sad

Mod Share- with Collab Features!
vQqtH.png
Learning Programming in a Nutshell: "You're missing a closing parenthesis" - LS97

#8 2013-07-08 04:26:27

LS97
Mod Share Team

SJRCS_011 wrote:
LS97 wrote:

Very well stated LS97, I couldn't have said it better.  Hopefully modding and Scratch in general could go back to the older days, but even just the switch to Flash could be considered a step in the direction of closed-source (and as we all know, closed-source can lead to proprietary software eventually).  After all, look at Flash versus Squeak:  Squeak is open source; Flash isn't.  The Squeak IDE was free (aka just turn fillscreen off); the professional Flash development kit is quite expensive.  It's all really disappointing sad

Yes, all of those examples were lacking in my first post on this issue, thanks for filling in tongue
We will see what happens with the release of the offline client, and therefore hopefully some kind of source. Modding might start off again, maybe with a Scratcher-developed framework to build upon or something (my dream, really, that should have been fulfilled with 1.4, but that's another story). If it does, Mod Share will be here to embrace them until 2014; if not, Scratch 2.0 can be a nice activity once in a while when we're older.

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#9 2013-07-08 15:32:11

SJRCS_011
Community Moderator
Website

LS97 wrote:
SJRCS_011 wrote:
LS97 wrote:

Yes, all of those examples were lacking in my first post on this issue, thanks for filling in tongue
We will see what happens with the release of the offline client, and therefore hopefully some kind of source. Modding might start off again, maybe with a Scratcher-developed framework to build upon or something (my dream, really, that should have been fulfilled with 1.4, but that's another story). If it does, Mod Share will be here to embrace them until 2014; if not, Scratch 2.0 can be a nice activity once in a while when we're older.

that's what I was thinking too, making some sort of framework or API to easily work with to make mods.  Maybe if we could get a bunch of AT'ers together we all could make something like that

Mod Share- with Collab Features!
vQqtH.png
Learning Programming in a Nutshell: "You're missing a closing parenthesis" - LS97

#10 2013-07-08 17:06:32

LS97
Mod Share Team

SJRCS_011 wrote:
LS97 wrote:
SJRCS_011 wrote:

that's what I was thinking too, making some sort of framework or API to easily work with to make mods.  Maybe if we could get a bunch of AT'ers together we all could make something like that

We can try seeing who would like to, but that discussion doesn't belong in this topic wink

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#11 2013-07-08 21:35:12

SFollis
Mod Share-er

LS97 wrote:

yeah sad ever since 2.0 came out, modshare has been... losing visitors D: we should start posting more projects on modshare also tongue

the above post has been found that the following
o There might be a typo
o I am awesome
o You are awesome

#12 2013-07-09 15:26:39

LS97
Mod Share Team

SFollis wrote:
LS97 wrote:

yeah sad ever since 2.0 came out, modshare has been... losing visitors D: we should start posting more projects on modshare also tongue

That would be a great start!

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#13 2013-07-09 21:42:22

estile
Mod Share-er

I don't know, the features of 2.0 were exciting, but they just are not enough. I personally think that it might be possible to create a scratch mod with more features than 2.0, because of this, I am coming back to mod share.

the following statement is void where prohibited
this statement is prohibited

#14 2013-09-26 14:50:21

dvd4
Mod Share-er

Sad future...

Can't say i didn't see scratch being abandoned in favour of flash coming, because I did. So did everybody else ;_;

R.I.P scratch

#15 2016-06-15 19:38:12

edward789121
Mod Share-er
Website

jvvg wrote:

mod share can do anything now!!!

scratch profile
Join tbgforums.com and intforums.com.
Join forums.thegt.org, tell GeonoTRON2000 i reffered you, and we will both gain 50 fish there!
46080.png

#16 2016-06-19 17:22:01

edward789121
Mod Share-er
Website

tlangster wrote:

I heard that they were working on an HTML5 version of Scratch, but again, I THINK that they are doing it. They said it would not be in this version, so that is either a 2.1 or 3.0 thing.

scratch profile
Join tbgforums.com and intforums.com.
Join forums.thegt.org, tell GeonoTRON2000 i reffered you, and we will both gain 50 fish there!
46080.png

#17 2018-05-31 14:48:11

mrbumppo
New Mod Share-er

LS97 wrote:

So sad... sad

#18 2018-07-17 14:08:16

tomrow
New Mod Share-er

(is this thing on?)
Anyway, Scratch 3 is now on GitHub, so check that out and we may see some good mods again!

#19 2019-11-24 13:37:37

-FasterThanLight-
New Mod Share-er

tlangster wrote:

Scratch 2.0, as probably everyone here knows, is developed in Flash. Unfortunately, this makes modding hard for those who were used to the Squeak environment, or for those who cannot afford Flash. As well, Scratch 2.0 has not bothered to release the source code for 2.0, so we cannot develop mods unless we can get our hands on some decompiled code (which someone did, but how to compile it???).

This is a great example of how the Scratch Team makes sure to pay attention to what people want and need... sad

Scratch modding will never really be possible at this rate, because any 1.4 mods have numerous problems, from the limitations of having to mod 1.4 (loss of all 2.0 features), the restrictions of Squeak, and the fact that nobody wants to use a 1.4 mod. It is really sad because modding is what allows freedom in using Scratch - Scratch itself is locked down to the ridiculousness of "If a newbie to Scratch cannot figure it out within five seconds, take it out entirely." which is limiting its possibilities. Modding was the only escape from that, and now it is gone.

Welp, I guess I should say thanks! To all of the modders of Scratch, from jvvg and LS97 who created Insanity, Bingo, and Mod Share, to all the other excellent mods out there. We will miss you.

You do know that Scratch 3.0 is out now, and it's written in JavaScript, which is both easy to learn and use. They also have released the code for the 3.0 editor.

#20 2021-10-10 06:48:13

InternetExplorer8
Mod Share-er
Website

-FasterThanLight- wrote:
tlangster wrote:

You do know that Scratch 3.0 is out now, and it's written in JavaScript, which is both easy to learn and use. They also have released the code for the 3.0 editor.

And there are exsisting Scratch 2 mods!

sad But this one does not work with mod share (I can't upload it!)
http://sharpscratchmod.github.io/editor/

-InternetExplorer8
By the way, do you remember to brush your teeth reularily? You don't look so good in the camera! (Just joking)

#21 2021-10-12 01:23:32

SurvivCreator
New Mod Share-er

There are two most prevalent scratch 3.0 mods. Turbowarp and Epicques. Both are comparable to scratch and have superior capabilities. Would be cool if they are added smile

#22 2021-10-12 02:37:49

InternetExplorer8
Mod Share-er
Website

SurvivCreator wrote:

There are two most prevalent scratch 3.0 mods. Turbowarp and Epicques. Both are comparable to scratch and have superior capabilities. Would be cool if they are added smile

Try stretch3.github.io

-InternetExplorer8
By the way, do you remember to brush your teeth reularily? You don't look so good in the camera! (Just joking)

Board footer

This is part of Mod Share v4.0