Mod Share Forums

Welcome to the Mod Share forums.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-07 20:53:11

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

[Done] Polls on forums will not work for the next few days

Currently in our poll software, there is a glitch where putting "0" as an option will make it the poll break.
I have found a fix to this problem, but it will take several days to implement. During that time, polls will be unavailable on this forum.
That means that if you post any new topics after I write this and before the solution is implemented, you will not be able to include a poll in them. This also means that existing polls will not be visible until the fix is implemented.
Due to the fact that polls can not be posted in topics, we have also disabled new topics in the polls forum until this is done, as topics in that forum must have polls and you can't post any (you can still post replies on topics, though).

Update
Polls now work again! You can put a zero as an option and they will display properly.

Last edited by jvvg (2013-03-11 18:08:59)

wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

#2 2013-03-07 22:07:41

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

Re: [Done] Polls on forums will not work for the next few days

Lol, why did I report this? tongue
When you're done, could you provide us (FFers) the updated code?
I also have noticed another weird bug but am unable to replicate it (only happened once at funforums and once here): On occasion, doing something with the poll (with 0s) (not sure what - maybe voting in it?) deletes all posts after the OP.
Yay, I got linked to in the announcement tongue

And yay, its being fixed. Though may I ask, what kind of update would take several days? Couldn't any code fix be done arabitrarily fast (limited only by typing and internet speed)?

Please help! Free ads on my next project on Scratch for helpers! Love-its on your 5 most recent projects (also with ads) for people who fix the entire problem!
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA - ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE / I've quit MS. Why? ":P". Feel free to land on Europa now, and you might contact me at intf.tk or intforums.com, but remember the 49 minute time lag between Europa and Earth.
x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#3 2013-03-07 22:28:40

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Molybdenum wrote:

I also have noticed another weird bug but am unable to replicate it (only happened once at funforums and once here): On occasion, doing something with the poll (with 0s) (not sure what - maybe voting in it?) deletes all posts after the OP.

And yay, its being fixed. Though may I ask, what kind of update would take several days? Couldn't any code fix be done arabitrarily fast (limited only by typing and internet speed)?

The fix is pretty major. I'm not just moving around a few braces. I'm rewriting major portions of the mod here. Because I only know of the general area of the glitch and it would be extremely difficult to isolate it completely (the code for the poll mod was incredibly poorly written, really disorganized, and the comments are in Russian so it's pretty hard to understand), I am just going to rewrite everything related to the problematic area. This way I wipe out the glitch and improve the code.
I am also doing this on a pretty tight schedule. I will not be able to code for any of tomorrow and only for about an hour or two on Saturday.

#4 2013-03-07 22:51:59

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

jvvg wrote:
Molybdenum wrote:

The fix is pretty major. I'm not just moving around a few braces. I'm rewriting major portions of the mod here. Because I only know of the general area of the glitch and it would be extremely difficult to isolate it completely (the code for the poll mod was incredibly poorly written, really disorganized, and the comments are in Russian so it's pretty hard to understand), I am just going to rewrite everything related to the problematic area. This way I wipe out the glitch and improve the code.
I am also doing this on a pretty tight schedule. I will not be able to code for any of tomorrow and only for about an hour or two on Saturday.

Braces? C? What? (I use python a lot ( tongue ) even though I should be using VB) tongue
But since its so major, you haven't exactly

jvvg wrote:

found a fix to this problem

(I though you knew exactly what to change)
And lol at comments in russian lol Was the creator russian or something?

Please help! Free ads on my next project on Scratch for helpers! Love-its on your 5 most recent projects (also with ads) for people who fix the entire problem!
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA - ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE / I've quit MS. Why? ":P". Feel free to land on Europa now, and you might contact me at intf.tk or intforums.com, but remember the 49 minute time lag between Europa and Earth.
x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#5 2013-03-07 22:56:35

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Molybdenum wrote:
jvvg wrote:
Molybdenum wrote:

Braces? C? What? (I use python a lot ( tongue ) even though I should be using VB) tongue
But since its so major, you haven't exactly

jvvg wrote:

found a fix to this problem

(I though you knew exactly what to change)
And lol at comments in russian lol Was the creator russian or something?

@Braces: Well, this website is programmed in PHP, which is a language with the same syntax as C, but it is a different language designed specifically for web programming.
@Haven't found a fix: I know where the problem is and what I have to rewrite. I also have a general idea of how I can fix the [bad] old code with my [awesome] new code.
@Russian: Yes, he is Russian.

#6 2013-03-08 13:40:14

Devloper123
Mod Share-er
Website

OK

30tt0ec.jpg
MY MOD!!!!!3463i3k.jpg
t8rrjp.gif

#7 2013-03-08 17:42:33

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

jvvg wrote:

@Braces: Well, this website is programmed in PHP, which is a language with the same syntax as C, but it is a different language designed specifically for web programming.
@Haven't found a fix: I know where the problem is and what I have to rewrite. I also have a general idea of how I can fix the [bad] old code with my [awesome] new code.
@Russian: Yes, he is Russian.

Lol, ok.

x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#8 2013-03-10 13:32:49

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

UPDATE:
Old polls are now visible again as read-only. This means you can't vote in them right now.

#9 2013-03-10 13:49:01

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

You can now vote in old polls. However, posting or editing polls will not come for a little while.

#10 2013-03-10 21:31:50

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

Yeah, it still looks weird, like last editted is in the poll box, and results are displayed at the same time as voting tongue

x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#11 2013-03-11 18:09:18

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Polls are now completely fixed. If any more problems arise, please report them.

#12 2013-03-12 11:03:13

SFollis
Mod Share-er

jvvg wrote:

Polls are now completely fixed. If any more problems arise, please report them.

awesome!

the above post has been found that the following
o There might be a typo
o I am awesome
o You are awesome

#13 2013-03-12 18:30:34

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

I tried it, it seems fixed so far. Could you put the code somewhere for us?

x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#14 2013-03-12 21:35:03

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Molybdenum wrote:

I tried it, it seems fixed so far. Could you put the code somewhere for us?

It turned out the problem was just a data type issue, so I ended up keeping the old code and fixing it. Just use a bit of PHP knowledge and apply it to the standard poll mod!
I will also include this fix the next time I push the source code (which I should do sometime soon, as I haven't done so in several months).

Board footer

This is part of Mod Share v4.0