Mod Share-er

AFAIK registrations work again

^^

#2 2016-04-08 14:54:52

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Re: AFAIK registrations work again

No, they don't. The issue here is a different issue from the Wiki. The issue here is that the server we use is IPv6 only, while the Scratch server is IPv4 only, so registrations are down until we can figure out a way to circumvent this problem.

wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

#3 2016-04-08 20:30:19

Krett12
Mod Share-er

jvvg wrote:

No, they don't. The issue here is a different issue from the Wiki. The issue here is that the server we use is IPv6 only, while the Scratch server is IPv4 only, so registrations are down until we can figure out a way to circumvent this problem.

I rarely read the wiki anymore (except for the wiki wednesday articles, because they shove ithem in our face) Plus, not all IPs *have* a v6 address, so *some* people could still sign up.

Plus, why does it matter what the Scratch servers use?

#4 2016-04-08 21:22:33

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:
jvvg wrote:

I rarely read the wiki anymore (except for the wiki wednesday articles, because they shove ithem in our face) Plus, not all IPs *have* a v6 address, so *some* people could still sign up.

Plus, why does it matter what the Scratch servers use?

Where else did you get the impression that registrations would be working again, though? That was the only source I could think of.

Anyway, the problem is that this server is currently unable to access the Scratch API due to incompatible addressing schemes. Until there is a suitable workaround for this, there is no way to verify the identity of users registering (besides doing so manually, but that would take a lot of unnecessary work, especially when we already have an almost-working automatic system that just needs one fix). The problem is that this server can only access websites with IPv6 addresses, and the Scratch website is IPv4-only (at least for now). I am currently looking into tunnelling options.

#5 2016-04-09 21:23:47

Krett12
Mod Share-er

1) I got it from the fact that people have registered since.

2) A good proxy might be some free hosting (makeshift of course) of maybe the way-back machine (no, that is not a joke)

#6 2016-04-09 21:37:38

Krett12
Mod Share-er

Also, I have an idea. Can mod share access pages  from the client's perspective?

If the answer is yes, attempt to look in their backpack.

If the answer is no, please reply, so I know to think of something else.

#7 2016-04-09 21:43:02

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:

1) I got it from the fact that people have registered since.

2) A good proxy might be some free hosting (makeshift of course) of maybe the way-back machine (no, that is not a joke)

I think I found a pretty good solution: crossorigin.me - I will implement that tomorrow. Credit to scratchyone for suggesting this

Also, nobody seems to have registered since the final round of server upgrades, according to the server log.

Krett12 wrote:

Also, I have an idea. Can mod share access pages  from the client's perspective?

If the answer is yes, attempt to look in their backpack.

If the answer is no, please reply, so I know to think of something else.

Mod Share can currently only access pages from the point of view of an anonymous user. It is possible to access backpacks (through the use of AJAX), and that may be included if applicable to any specific feature.

#8 2016-04-09 21:51:10

Krett12
Mod Share-er

1 And credit to me for pointing out that you should think of a backup

2) Actually, the idea was that they patched the hole allowing others' backpacks to be accessed.

Also, if I were to drive down to G***i's server room and logged in to Scratch from the futuresight.org machine, would Mod Share see Scratch from my perspective?

Last edited by Krett12 (2016-04-09 21:51:36)

#9 2016-04-09 21:54:16

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:

2) Actually, the idea was that they patched the hole allowing others' backpacks to be accessed.

Also, if I were to drive down to G***i's server room and logged in to Scratch from the futuresight.org machine, would Mod Share see Scratch from my perspective?

1. Hopefully I won't need that, but thanks.
2. You misunderstand. With AJAX I could actually let the user log in and then access their own backpack. However, this is all done in the user's browser, not on the server.

When Mod Share accesses other sites, it by default does so from the point of view of an anonymous user. With some cURL tricks it is possible to make it log in, but currently it does not have any code to do this, and with the IPv4-v6 issues, it would be much more difficult to do this.

#10 2016-04-09 23:45:53

Krett12
Mod Share-er

jvvg wrote:
Krett12 wrote:

2. You misunderstand. With AJAX I could actually let the user log in and then access their own backpack. However, this is all done in the user's browser, not on the server.

When Mod Share accesses other sites, it by default does so from the point of view of an anonymous user. With some cURL tricks it is possible to make it log in, but currently it does not have any code to do this, and with the IPv4-v6 issues, it would be much more difficult to do this.

2) I was talking about the browser, but you switched to talking about the server.

3) Again, not what I was talking about. If I was logged in on the server machine, would mod share see Scratch from a logged-in perspective?

#11 2016-04-10 09:38:48

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:
jvvg wrote:
Krett12 wrote:

2) I was talking about the browser, but you switched to talking about the server.

3) Again, not what I was talking about. If I was logged in on the server machine, would mod share see Scratch from a logged-in perspective?

2. Well, in that case, it is definitely possible from the browser end.

3. There is no web browser installed on the server. The server only runs command-line stuff, and logging in anywhere requires using cURL and a few other tricks. However, when just accessing a page without actually being coded to log in, it does so from a logged-out perspective.

#12 2016-04-10 10:08:43

Krett12
Mod Share-er

3. There is no web browser installed on the server.

A server is really just a computer with Apache. How outdated is their software?

, and logging in anywhere requires using cURL and a few other tricks.

jvvg wrote:

With AJAX I could actually let the user log in

However, when just accessing a page without actually being coded to log in, it does so from a logged-out perspective.

Duh.

Last edited by Krett12 (2016-04-10 10:09:46)

#13 2016-04-10 10:14:54

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:

3. There is no web browser installed on the server.

A server is really just a computer with Apache. How outdated is their software?

You fundamentally misunderstand how a webserver works. While a server is basically a computer, it is different in how it is set up. A server only has software that's actually needed for being a server, and many cases that doesn't even include a graphical layer (I have to do everything over SSH). A web browser, while it comes pre-installed in many operating systems, is not actually a core component of the operating system. In the server version of the OS, since there's no need to have a web browser on the server, it does not come pre-installed. Furthermore, the server doesn't even have a graphical interface to use. Everything is done via command line over SSH.

Also, the software isn't exactly outdated. The server runs Ubuntu 14.04, which is about two years old but still actively maintained.

Krett12 wrote:

, and logging in anywhere requires using cURL and a few other tricks.

Why cURL specifically?

That's the library that PHP has for submitting POST request and stuff like that.

#14 2016-04-10 10:55:11

Krett12
Mod Share-er

You fundamentally misunderstand how a webserver works. While a server is basically a computer, it is different in how it is set up. A server only has software that's actually needed for being a server, and many cases that doesn't even include a graphical layer (I have to do everything over SSH). A web browser, while it comes pre-installed in many operating systems, is not actually a core component of the operating system. In the server version of the OS, since there's no need to have a web browser on the server, it does not come pre-installed. Furthermore, the server doesn't even have a graphical interface to use. Everything is done via command line over SSH.
Also, the software isn't exactly outdated. The server runs Ubuntu 14.04, which is about two years old but still actively maintained.

A web browser could be useful on April Fools day.

That's the library that PHP has for submitting POST request and stuff like that.

"the" library?

#15 2016-04-10 11:08:48

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Krett12 wrote:

A web browser could be useful on April Fools day.

"the" library?

Any sort of stuff that might need to be done from a web browser I can do from my own personal computer.
cURL is the library that most people use. I am sure there are other ones, but that is the one that is generally the most commonly used.

However, this topic has gone completely off-topic from the original issue of registrations, so I am going to close it.

Board footer

This is part of Mod Share v4.0