Link to Mod Share Mod Share

  Users Browse Upload Forums Log in

Mod Share Forums

Welcome to the Mod Share forums.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-27 19:06:17

jvvg
Mod Share Team
From: United States
Registered: 2012-09-16
Posts: 615
Website

The future of Mod Share

As many of you know, this website is not used much anymore. This is largely facilitated by the fact that mods in Scratch 2.0 are more complicated to develop, that there isn't an available source code, and that they just aren't as popular. In addition to that, we do not have the funding to pay for the domain name, and it expires in October 2014.

Don't worry, we aren't going to delete everything when the domain expires. We still have sufficient hosting resources for much longer, and our financial situation as it stands now can still pay for that. So, in October 2014, this website will be moved under our company's website futuresight.org and become a read-only archive. All projects, comments, and any other uploaded data will still be available for viewing and for download.

It would be nice if Scratch 2.0 could uphold its philosophy of anyone being able to mod it - as it so nobly promotes to its users -, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Sadly, it means that this website must also come to a close.

As we prepare for the transition, we are not going to be accepting new Scratch 1.4 mods any longer. We're also going to stop updating the site with new features unless they're absolutely necessary. The rest of the site will continue as normal still for quite a few months.


wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

Offline

#2 2013-09-02 16:28:27

powerpoint56
Mod Share-er
Registered: 2012-10-08
Posts: 7

Re: The future of Mod Share

Yeah, it is unfortunate that it's to much harder to make mods in Scratch 2.0, and this website is especially less active because of it.

And will modshare.tk still be available for cloud variables in Scratch 1.x mods?

Offline

#3 2013-09-16 15:35:14

Devloper123
Mod Share-er
Registered: 2013-01-04
Posts: 39
Website

Re: The future of Mod Share

I could make like a sort of MakeFlashScratchMod app?If u like,it would take me 20000 years tongue


30tt0ec.jpg
MY MOD!!!!!3463i3k.jpg
t8rrjp.gif

Offline

#4 2013-10-03 16:03:40

playzooki
New Mod Share-er
Registered: 2012-07-12
Posts: 48

Re: The future of Mod Share

i kinda knew scratch 2 would be mediocre


gametechmods.com

Offline

#5 2013-10-05 17:49:56

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

Wow! I've Actually Got A GREAT Idea! Why Don't We Just Wait Until They OS Scratch 2.0? They We'd Just Open The Site Right Back Up Again! Plus, We Can Do This : Simply Have 1.4 AND 2.0 Mods Available On The Site.


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#6 2013-10-06 13:18:39

LS97
Mod Share Team
Registered: 2012-01-14
Posts: 218

Re: The future of Mod Share

Mrsrec wrote:

Wow! I've Actually Got A GREAT Idea! Why Don't We Just Wait Until They OS Scratch 2.0? They We'd Just Open The Site Right Back Up Again! Plus, We Can Do This : Simply Have 1.4 AND 2.0 Mods Available On The Site.

Even when (and if) Scratch 2.0 becomes open source, we fear it will still be more difficult to modify and that fewer people will be able to create quality products that the community will want to use.


LS97 - Mod Share Admin

Offline

#7 2013-10-06 13:42:13

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

LS97 wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:

Wow! I've Actually Got A GREAT Idea! Why Don't We Just Wait Until They OS Scratch 2.0? They We'd Just Open The Site Right Back Up Again! Plus, We Can Do This : Simply Have 1.4 AND 2.0 Mods Available On The Site.

Even when (and if) Scratch 2.0 becomes open source, we fear it will still be more difficult to modify and that fewer people will be able to create quality products that the community will want to use.


Squeak Is Harder Than Flash. Also, You Could Keep It Under Futuresight.org, Just Like Scratch.mit.edu.

See What I Mean?


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#8 2013-10-06 13:45:57

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

And We Could Just Use 1.x Anyway?


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#9 2013-10-07 10:47:30

LS97
Mod Share Team
Registered: 2012-01-14
Posts: 218

Re: The future of Mod Share

Mrsrec wrote:
LS97 wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:

Wow! I've Actually Got A GREAT Idea! Why Don't We Just Wait Until They OS Scratch 2.0? They We'd Just Open The Site Right Back Up Again! Plus, We Can Do This : Simply Have 1.4 AND 2.0 Mods Available On The Site.

Even when (and if) Scratch 2.0 becomes open source, we fear it will still be more difficult to modify and that fewer people will be able to create quality products that the community will want to use.


Squeak Is Harder Than Flash. Also, You Could Keep It Under Futuresight.org, Just Like Scratch.mit.edu.

See What I Mean?

Mod Share will be transferred as a read-only archive under futuresight.org once this domain expires.


LS97 - Mod Share Admin

Offline

#10 2013-10-07 22:52:21

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

LS97 wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:
LS97 wrote:

Even when (and if) Scratch 2.0 becomes open source, we fear it will still be more difficult to modify and that fewer people will be able to create quality products that the community will want to use.


Squeak Is Harder Than Flash. Also, You Could Keep It Under Futuresight.org, Just Like Scratch.mit.edu.

See What I Mean?

Mod Share will be transferred as a read-only archive under futuresight.org once this domain expires.

See, That's The Key. Don't Make It Read Only, And Keep Running It. I'd Be Willing To Join If That's What It Would Take To Make It Compatible With 2.0 Mods, Like SNAP!

EDIT: Hey Cool! I'm A Regular Member Now!

Last edited by Mrsrec (2013-10-07 22:52:52)


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#11 2013-12-27 11:54:54

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

Well, Maybe It Could Not Be Read-Only Then. Okay?


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#12 2013-12-27 14:12:46

jvvg
Mod Share Team
From: United States
Registered: 2012-09-16
Posts: 615
Website

Re: The future of Mod Share

Mrsrec wrote:

Well, Maybe It Could Not Be Read-Only Then. Okay?

Since the site is completely obsolete, I don't see any reason to keep it editable after October, and the main reason for archiving it is that moderating the site and checking if there are any inappropriate projects or forum posts takes time, and we feel that that time could go to better use.


wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

Offline

#13 2013-12-27 16:19:24

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

jvvg wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:

Well, Maybe It Could Not Be Read-Only Then. Okay?

Since the site is completely obsolete, I don't see any reason to keep it editable after October, and the main reason for archiving it is that moderating the site and checking if there are any inappropriate projects or forum posts takes time, and we feel that that time could go to better use.

How About Just The Forums Then?

Or, What If There Was A New Mod Share Made?


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#14 2013-12-29 07:29:52

LS97
Mod Share Team
Registered: 2012-01-14
Posts: 218

Re: The future of Mod Share

Mrsrec wrote:
jvvg wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:

Well, Maybe It Could Not Be Read-Only Then. Okay?

Since the site is completely obsolete, I don't see any reason to keep it editable after October, and the main reason for archiving it is that moderating the site and checking if there are any inappropriate projects or forum posts takes time, and we feel that that time could go to better use.

How About Just The Forums Then?

Or, What If There Was A New Mod Share Made?

What would be the point of making a new Mod Share? I don't see any big improvements we could make that anyone would really make use of.
We are still discussing the issue anyway and we will announce our decision before October.


LS97 - Mod Share Admin

Offline

#15 2014-02-18 11:04:32

Mrsrec
Mod Share-er
From: right behind you
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 38

Re: The future of Mod Share

LS97 wrote:
Mrsrec wrote:
jvvg wrote:

Since the site is completely obsolete, I don't see any reason to keep it editable after October, and the main reason for archiving it is that moderating the site and checking if there are any inappropriate projects or forum posts takes time, and we feel that that time could go to better use.

How About Just The Forums Then?

Or, What If There Was A New Mod Share Made?

What would be the point of making a new Mod Share? I don't see any big improvements we could make that anyone would really make use of.
We are still discussing the issue anyway and we will announce our decision before October.

Oh, Ok Then.


In An Effort To Not Look Like A Spambot, I Have Created This Signature

Offline

#16 2014-05-17 04:55:00

whizzer
Mod Share-er
Registered: 2012-06-16
Posts: 2

Re: The future of Mod Share

So, seeing as Scratch 2.0 has been open sourced, will..?

Offline

#17 2014-05-18 09:52:33

jvvg
Mod Share Team
From: United States
Registered: 2012-09-16
Posts: 615
Website

Re: The future of Mod Share

whizzer wrote:

So, seeing as Scratch 2.0 has been open sourced, will..?

The way that Scratch 2.0 works, it would require a major site redesign to allow projects from its mods. However, once some mods exist, I may make those changes.


wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

Offline

#18 2014-05-18 16:03:47

jvvg
Mod Share Team
From: United States
Registered: 2012-09-16
Posts: 615
Website

Re: The future of Mod Share

This topic is out of date. See this topic for updated information.


wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

Offline

Board footer

This is part of Mod Share v4.0