Mod Share Forums

Welcome to the Mod Share forums.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-09 23:22:06

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

NFE status and some stuff about it

I'm thinking about making sort of "Not for Everybody" status for projects on this site (i.e. ones that aren't quite appropriate for everybody, but not so bad that they need to be removed).

A project marked as NFE would mean it doesn't appear on the front page.

Should we have a NFE status?

1. Yes
  2. No
Total votes: 4

When viewing a project marked as NFE, warn the viewer first?

1. Yes
  2. No

When a project is marked as NFE, notify the author?

1. Yes
  2. No

Poll is closed

wr5t1.png2h6dij7.png293kn7c.jpg2lwke37.png
Programmer • Runner • Mod Share Admin

#2 2012-11-10 14:50:26

SJRCS_011
Community Moderator
Website

Re: NFE status and some stuff about it

yes, yes, and yes tongue

Mod Share- with Collab Features!
vQqtH.png
Learning Programming in a Nutshell: "You're missing a closing parenthesis" - LS97

#3 2012-11-11 16:52:12

LS97
Mod Share Team

ynn. It seems I'm the only one against transparency tongue

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#4 2012-11-11 21:52:27

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

LS97 wrote:

ynn. It seems I'm the only one against transparency tongue

The reason for that would be if someone is viewing a project marked as NFE for mild inappropriateness, then they will be warned so if they aren't mature enough, they don't have to see the stuff that got it the NFE status.

#5 2012-11-12 06:23:37

LS97
Mod Share Team

Well, if the project wasn't removed in the first place, chances are it's not really that bad.
Honestly, I think the Mod Share audience is slightly older than the average Scratcher.

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#6 2012-12-01 09:53:03

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

Hmm. I'm just afraid that if they are warned, it will make little kids want to see even more. "THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN MARKED NFE; IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 [or whatever], DO NOT PLAY". "Ooh, I wonder what my older brother even does. Let's go see!" Of course, no warning is also bad..

Please help! Free ads on my next project on Scratch for helpers! Love-its on your 5 most recent projects (also with ads) for people who fix the entire problem!
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA - ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE / I've quit MS. Why? ":P". Feel free to land on Europa now, and you might contact me at intf.tk or intforums.com, but remember the 49 minute time lag between Europa and Earth.
x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#7 2012-12-01 10:57:39

SJRCS_011
Community Moderator
Website

Molybdenum wrote:

Hmm. I'm just afraid that if they are warned, it will make little kids want to see even more. "THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN MARKED NFE; IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 [or whatever], DO NOT PLAY". "Ooh, I wonder what my older brother even does. Let's go see!" Of course, no warning is also bad..

well, i kinda doubt that the warning will be like "DON'T VIEW THIS IF UNDER 13",  it'd probably be more like "This project may contain some content unsuitible for young children" or something along those lines

Mod Share- with Collab Features!
vQqtH.png
Learning Programming in a Nutshell: "You're missing a closing parenthesis" - LS97

#8 2012-12-01 11:20:29

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

SJRCS_011 wrote:
Molybdenum wrote:

Hmm. I'm just afraid that if they are warned, it will make little kids want to see even more. "THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN MARKED NFE; IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 [or whatever], DO NOT PLAY". "Ooh, I wonder what my older brother even does. Let's go see!" Of course, no warning is also bad.

well, i kinda doubt that the warning will be like "DON'T VIEW THIS IF UNDER 13",  it'd probably be more like "This project may contain some content unsuitible for young children" or something along those lines

It was just an example.. I guess it would be like jvvg's example below.

Last edited by Molybdenum (2012-12-01 12:44:14)

Please help! Free ads on my next project on Scratch for helpers! Love-its on your 5 most recent projects (also with ads) for people who fix the entire problem!
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA - ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE / I've quit MS. Why? ":P". Feel free to land on Europa now, and you might contact me at intf.tk or intforums.com, but remember the 49 minute time lag between Europa and Earth.
x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#9 2012-12-01 11:41:37

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

SJRCS_011 wrote:
Molybdenum wrote:

Yeah, it would probably say something like "This project has been deemed inappropriate for younger people for the following reason: [reason]. Are you sure you still want to play?"

#10 2012-12-02 08:54:32

LS97
Mod Share Team

I really think we don't need a warning. The only point about a NFE is that we don't want some stuff to get onto the front page, and I'd use it mainly for projects that are borderline spam and stuff like that.

There is absolutely nothing on Mod Share that meets the "OK to leave up, but not for all viewers" criterion. If there's something that's not for all, we take it off altogether.

LS97 - Mod Share Admin

#11 2012-12-21 18:48:42

Molybdenum
Mod Share-er

Just wanted to quote lightnin on this:

Lightnin wrote:

We know it can be frustrating to have to keep things PG when you want to make them at least PG-13. But unfortunately, we have no way of confirming the age of any Scratcher. So there would be no way of preventing younger Scratchers from viewing edgier stuff (and even if we just marked something as mature, that’d probably make them more interested in seeing it.]

x8HDw.gif
SHA-256 confirmation

#12 2012-12-21 19:41:59

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

Molybdenum wrote:

Just wanted to quote lightnin on this:

Lightnin wrote:

We know it can be frustrating to have to keep things PG when you want to make them at least PG-13. But unfortunately, we have no way of confirming the age of any Scratcher. So there would be no way of preventing younger Scratchers from viewing edgier stuff (and even if we just marked something as mature, that’d probably make them more interested in seeing it.]

Yeah, I kind of agree with that.
I'm now thinking that we won't even implement NFE. If it's not appropriate for all ages, then it's not allowed at all.

#13 2012-12-23 19:00:53

jvvg
Mod Share Team
Website

I think that we'll just not implement any NFE status. Closing thread.

Board footer

This is part of Mod Share v4.0